February 24, 2015

Today's soundtrack:

Black Flag - Damaged (1981)
Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty (1979)
Sun Ra - Beyond the Purple Star Zone (1980)

Still inspired by Henry Rollins yesterday I dragged out Damaged. I have listened to it once or twice before, but probably in the background and not loud enough, because today I cranked it up, and it was beefy and aggressive and delicious. Tracks I had previously taken at face value (Six Pack, TV Party) as juvenile party punk were discovered to be satirical. Pays to listen. Also the rhythm section kicks ass on this record!

Sun Ra is always a trip. I'm always a little disappointed at the mixes on the records. I feel like the sounds could be so much more trippy and lush, but the playing never ceases to mesmerize. He seems to oscillate between chaotic and spasmodic space journeys and hypnotic hymn like chants. (Rocket Number Nine takes off for the planet - VENUS!) I admire the dude just for sticking to his "from another planet" schtick so faithfully without taking a break. And he managed to make some convincingly other-worldly compositions in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment